En français un peu plus bas!

Having a little bit of a dilemma...





I've heard of an awesome contest aimed at 18-25 year olds who have never been published. It's over here, and I'm really...considering it, I guess. The only thing holding me back is how long the process takes (you don't know if you've even been chosen in the last 10 until October, by which you need to have completed your book). I'm not sure I want to rush writing this for the possibility that I might make it to the next stage of a contest. I hope I'll be done by October, but I might not be, you know? Plus, the story I set up kind of has to happen in more than one book. Two, at least, but potentially three (it just seems rounder this way :P) I mean, I already have 30,000 words and I'm not even halfway through Book 1! And this contest is a one book deal prize, so...I'm not sure if they'd accept that or if it would turn out. OH AND ALSO. I sent in a story to a Canadian SF magazine last month, and they say you can't participate if you've published fiction before. Thing is, I don't know if I will be published in that magazine or not until another 2 months. I would then get kicked out of the contest or have to withdraw... I have about 3 weeks to pick 4000 words to send them if I do end up applying.

I was also considering starting a new story for this, as I have notes for a few other ideas. The only problem is that I'm not sure I want to interrupt writing this current one so I can write another. This one has taken a lot of world building and actual research (yeah, I got off my ass to research for this book!), I have pages of notes about their system and society and I'm afraid I'd get confused or forget it if I started on another world/universe without finishing this one first.

What do you guys think? Should I go for it with my current story, or start up another? Or should I keep writing at my own pace and trust SOMETHING MAGICAL WILL HAPPEN and I'll find an agent, or another contest will come along?

Oh. Also to note: if you win, you get an advance of what is approximately 16,000$...grrhrhrhghg SO MUCH MONEY.

Heeeeeelp! :(

----------------------------------

Bon, et ben, j'ai un petit dilemme.

En fait, j'ai trouvé un concours super, qui permets à de jeunes auteurs de 18-25 jamais publiés auparavant d'envoyer un extrait de leur manuscrit pour avoir la chance de gagner un contrat d'un livre. Mon problème, c'est la durée du concours. Il me faudrait envoyer un extrait de 4000 mots par la fin de mai (pas de problème, j'en ai 1000 fois ça des mots), sauf que le livre que j'écris en ce moment s'étend sur plus d'un tome. Probablement trois, juste pour faire plus complet. Et la durée, et bien...on ne connait pas le gagnant avant mars 2013, et en plus, en Octobre 2012 ils requierent la version finie du livre. Je ne sais pas trop si j'ai envie de me dépêcher  d'écrire, d'avoir de la pression et d'être sous le stress pour le terminer à temps. Surtout pour un concours ou je peut ne pas être sélectionnée! Je me suis dit que peut-être je pourrais écrire un livre à partir d'une de mes autres idées, sauf que là...le problème c'est qu'il me faudrait créer une autre société, un autre système politique fictif comme dans celui que j'écris en ce moment. Ce qui m'inquiète c'est que je me mette à oublier les détails du livre du moment, ou que les choses deviennent confuses. J'ai peur de finir par l'abandonner, et j'y ai déjà mis tant d'énergie que, bon, ça me déprimerais un peu. Et encore un autre truc: j'ai envoyé une histoire courte à un magazine littéraire Canadien il y a un mois, et si mon histoire est sélectionnée je serais automatiquement barrée du concours. Quand même, un contrat pour un livre et une avance d'environ 16000$...Ce serait pas mal.

Alors, selon vous, je devrais faire quoi? Je sais que je ne perds rien à essayer, sauf que je m'inquiète qu'ils n'acceptent pas que mon histoire fasse plus d'un tome, ou alors de me faire éliminer par la publication de mon histoire courte...Et bof, je ne suis pas sûre à 100% d'avoir fini d'écrire le livre avant Octobre 2012.

Quand même, si vous avez des conseils j'en serais ravie!

À l'aaaaiiideeeeuhhhh!


One Comment

  1. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO ITTTTTTTTTTTTTT! :)
    JP

    ReplyDelete